chronic sleep problems, it’s prudent to call a doctor. Research shows that approximately 8 out of every 10 people suffer from such issues, and it’s not something to just ignore. But, don’t fret, now nowadays there is new sleep medication that really helps. What many don’t know is that apart from making one feel dizzy, insufficient sleep can put one at higher risks for heart disease and type 2-diabetes. It also lowers your productivity and the cognitive function. As is that’s not enough, insomnia can cause you to feel irritable, sad or anxious and it can worsen symptoms for people with anxiety and depression. As such, seeking medical help may prove handy as it also helps with other medical conditions. [caption id="attachment_165" align="alignnone" width="647"] new sleep medication[/caption]
Taking New Sleep MedicationHave all your attempts to overcome chronic sleep onset insomnia failed? Worry not. Prescription new sleep medication may prove a handy option. Here is some advice on how to use them safely:
- Read the medication guide: This will help you understand when and how to take the medication and what are the major side effects to expect. In case of any question, contact a health specialist.
- Avoid alcohol: You shouldn’t mix sleep medication with alcohol. Alcohol usually increases the sedative effect of the pills. Even a small amount of alcohol combined with sleep medication can make you confused and dizzy. In some cases, it can cause slowed breathing.
- Get medical evaluation: Always consult your doctor for a thorough t exam before taking any sleep medication. In most cases, your doctor will be able to identify the cause of your insomnia and advice responsibly.
- Watch for side effects: In case you feel dizzy the next day after taking a sleep medication, ask for your doctor’s advice about changing the dose or weaning off your pills.
- Never take a sleeping pill unless you’re ready to go and retire on your bed.
- Take your new sleep medication as prescribed by your doctor. Only take a new sleep medication when you’re sure you at least 7-8 hours of night sleep.
- Quit carefully: Once you decide to stop taking sleep medication, adhere to your doctors direction on the label. Some medications are stopped gradually. Importantly, you might experience some short-term rebound insomnia shortly after you stop taking sleeping pills.
New Sleep Medication Buy Drugs PickFor chronic insomnia, it’s first advisable to try cognitive behavioral therapy. Research shows that even a single session can greatly help. For optimal outcome, endeavor to have at least four session. Sessions done in a group setting are quite effective. However, it doesn’t mean that one should avoid medication. Insomnia drugs may prove helpful in short term, your doctor might suggest you take one for a short period. Sometimes, health practitioners will prescribe new sleep medication for treatment of insomnia. Any medications issued out to be taken before retiring to bed. It’s advisable not to engage in any activity that calls for concentration e.g. driving after ingestion of the insomnia drugs since they might make you feel sleepy. Importantly, new sleep medications should be used hand in hand with good sleep practices. [caption id="attachment_163" align="alignnone" width="850"] new sleep medication[/caption] Below are some new sleep medications that can be used to treat insomnia. Try them and see how they do to your eyes.
- Doxepine: This new sleep medication is approved for anyone experiencing trouble staying asleep. It helps with sleep maintenance by inhibiting histamine receptors. Importantly, don’t use this drug unless you’re able to get a complete 7 or 8 hours of sleep.
- Anti-depressants: Some drugs such as trazodone are great at treating anxiety and sleeplessness.
- Benzodiazepines: This sleep medication may be useful in a case whereby you want new sleep medication that stays in the system for loner. They’re effectively used to treat sleep problems such as night terrors and sleepwalking. However, this drug could cause dizziness during daytime and also cause dependence which means one may need to be on drugs always so as to manage to sleep.
- Ramelteon: This sleep medication is unique in that it works differently from others. It targets the sleep-wake cycle and doesn’t aim at depressing the central nervous system. Its prescribed for people who have sleepless nights. It can be prescribed for long term use since it doesn’t have any evidence of dependence or abuse.
- Lunesta: This new sleep medication also enables one fall asleep quickly, enabling people to sleep for 7 to 8 ours. Ensure you don’t take it unless you’re capable of getting a full night sleep since it can cause rosiness. Considering the risk of impairment the following day, it’s advisable not to take more than 1 milligram.
- Suvorexant: This sleep medication works by blocking a hormone that causes insomnia. It’s approved by FDA to treat insomnia patients. However, this drug may also make you feel sleepy the following day.
- Sonata: Of all the new sleep medications, This drug stays active in the body for the shortest period of time, meaning that you can try falling asleep on your own, then, if you’re still staring at the ceiling at 2 am, you can take another pill and still don’t feel drowsy in the morning. If you’re fond of waking up in the nit, this may also be the best choice for you.
- Ambien (Zolpidem, Edluar, Intermezzo): These drugs works awesome at helping one fall asleep. However, some people tend to wake up over the night. The FDA strictly warn that you shouldn’t drive or engage in any activity that requires keenness the following day. It stays in the system for long. You should take this drug unless you’re able to sleep at least 7-8 ours.
- Over-the-counter sleep medications: They’re mostly antihistamines. There is no prove that they work for insomnia. They’re known to cause drowsiness the following day. They’re sold without a prescription, insinuating that they’re safe enough. However, avoid them if you’re taking other drugs that contain antihistamine such as cold medications, lest you do an overdose.
Factors that Adversely Affect the Recommendations for New Sleep MedicationSee, sleep drugs may be beneficial in the short term but also they pose risk over the long term. For instance, sedative medications normally add 8-20 minutes of sleep time but none has been proven to positively affect how people perform the following day. Additionally, they can also have some troubling side effects such as drowsiness, feeling unsteady and dizziness – all of which can increase the risk of having accidents. Also, new sleep medication can also lead to dependency hence worsening the symptoms of chronic insomnia if taken for long. Some of these new sleep medication such as Ambien have been reported to cause sleep-walking, hallucination and memory lapses within a few hours if taking them. This is usually attributed to the fact that most of the new sleep medications are normally tested over a short period of time and in selective patients. As such, little is known about their effectiveness and long term safety, especially in older people wit serious sleeping problems and medical issues.
Types of Prescription New Sleep MedicationThese may help you fall asleep easier or sleep for longer. The benefits and risks of various sleep medication can vary. To help find the correct medication to help you sleep, the doctor normally should:
- Enquire to get a clear picture of your sleep patterns.
- Order tests to ensure no underlying issues causing difficulty sleeping.
- Recommend a sleeping pill for a short period to determine the benefits and the side effects of the same.
- Let you try varied prescription sleeping pills in case the first medication doesn’t work.
- Assist you determine whether there is a generic version that is less expensive than brand name drugs.
- Discuss options for taking prescription new sleeping medication, including how often and in what form to take the drugs.